Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Catching Up


Time for some posting!

Here are some random pages from a series of 6-page backups. "What If Venom Possessed Deadpool?" The story was sheer lunacy. Rick Remender's scripts had me grinning and snickering, wondering where he comes up with some of this stuff.

Various anecdotes/observations:
I would've liked to have had a little more time to spend on it, but such was not to be. The whole thing was going to be tight anyhow and I had a death in the family to deal with around the middle of the project. My editors were of course very understanding and while I was prepared to have to give up part of the project, they gave me leeway to do what I had to do. (I actually had two deaths before the project was complete, but I was already too stressed out to even figure out how to tell anybody when the second came along. It was near the end of the gig, so I just grit my teeth.)

By the end we were up against Marvel's big move to their new offices, which I think probably necessitated the various inkers on the last parts of the final product. I can't even imagine the logistics of editors trying to pack up and move their offices and still get their books to press. Gh.

There was a scene of Thor in a bathroom stall that got ixnayed and I had to re-draw panels to patch over. I've included one of the old panels here. I thought it was pretty funny and while irreverent, it was rather innocuous. I chuckled as I was presented with the conundrum of "How does a hero deal with his cape in the bathroom?"

All four installments were eventually collected in one book. I saw it in a bookstore recently and glanced through and noticed something about a panel that was odd. After staring for an inordinate amount of time, I realized a severed head had been erased. HA! Not sure why the change. At first I thought maybe the head thing must've been too much, but I just read a little story in the new Heroic Age tpb, where a couple villains are jostling around a severed head for a couple pages, so now I don't know.

Enough of my rambling. For your viewing pleasure, Watchers from an alternate reality, jeri curls and moustaches, and M.O.D.O.K. welded to Galactus' ass. Hoo-ah!

NOTE: Purchase print or digital version from Marvel.com.

No comments: